2 years ago I sat on the shore of a lake, earnestly praying for God's will to open up to me. And as I scribbled scripture and thoughts into my journal at that picnic table, I listed out three cities. Three places I could move to. What I heard was, “Go west young (wo)man.”  That decision quickly became the biggest leap of faith I’d ever taken. It was 1500 miles away from family, friends, and most of everything I’ve ever known, and though I wasn’t moving to a completely unknown area, I was still terrified. And with only a short bit of change in my pocket and a car held together by duct-tape and a prayer, I moved west. 

El Matador Beach | Malibu, CA
And what an adventure it’s been! It’s been the scariest, most-exciting, gratifying, terrifying, exhilarating, and faith-building two years.  I’ve had some of the most breathtaking beaches and views at my fingertips and have ventured into new and really cool places. I’ve taken dance classes from the best dance teachers with the best dancers in the country, and some might even argue, the world. God has placed some incredible people in my life to help me grow, to encourage me when I needed it, and to just be the friends I needed. But most importantly, God grew my faith. He required me to hang onto him in blind trust and lean into his comfort instead of relying on what normally had comforted me before.

When I moved here, I already felt comfortable in Camarillo. It was a town that simply was an immediate fit and I sank right into it. My neighborhood, my church, my friends, the familiar drives along the PCH…it all just seemed so easily like home. 

But no matter how at home I already felt in Camarillo, there were some major adjustments. A lack of true seasons, a lack of lakes, my family 1500 miles away from me, no Caribou coffee, no random trips up north to Grandma and Grandpa’s farm…and that caused some major homesickness. There were times I was ready to pack up and move home. I remember just a bit past my 1 year mark here I was having one of those fits. And I wanted so desperately to move home no later than 6 months later, because I simply couldn’t imagine being here another year. I didn’t want to commit. I didn’t want to stay. But I also knew that if I moved home because I was so homesick, I would regret it. I needed to move home because it was the right decision and that’s where God was calling me, not because I wanted to go back. Little did I know God had plans for me to stay a whole year more. And it was totally worth it. This past year has actually given me more trials that have opened my eyes to discovering who God created me to be. It’s given me time to really become dear friends to people I probably wouldn’t have as much, ESPECIALLY my roommates. And again, God gave me more opportunities to grow my faith, and it’s hard to say I would want it any different, though at times it was incredibly hard.

Back to the 651. Or close to it, at least. ;)
But, as they all say, all good things must come to an end. God has been closing the door on my adventure here and opening opportunities for me to move back to the Twin Cities. 
So, after a 3-year-hiatus from the TC, I am excited to be heading back! I will be moving into a house in uptown with a good friend of mine I’ve known for many years. I will (hopefully) have a full-time job nannying, as I’m in that process right now with a family and an agency. And I couldn’t be more excited to come home again. I will have an actual autumn and winter (though I’m sure I’ll be begrudging it come February/March) and a spring and a summer. I’ll be back near some of my favorite restaurants again, like Caribou and Annie’s (I can’t wait for an andes mint shake!). I can’t wait to take the canoe out onto the lake, head to Taylors Falls - or better yet, up the North Shore, - in the autumn or go ice-skating on a pond followed by sipping a cup of hot chai next to a fireplace at Caribou in the winter. (Yes, I am that excited for Caribou to mention it twice.) I get to reconnect with old friends and make new ones. And one of the biggest things I’m excited for - I’ll have family close enough by I can take a weekend trip, or if needed, just a day-trip. (I can actually see them more than just once a year!)

And so on July 21st, I will watch as one home passes by in the rearview mirror and then look onward to home again. 

To all my friends here in SoCal. It’s been a true pleasure. Thank you for everything. 

And to all my friends back in the cities…I’ll be seeing you soon!