In 1940, Martin Nodell and Bill Finger introduced the world to DC Comic's newest hero, The Green Lantern. Though it's gone through a series of hiatuses, the comic has ultimately produced 5 volumes, which are still being produced today.

In volume 4, after a controversial editorial decision, Hal Jordan, our hero-turned-villain-turned-hero again faces his demon - a parasitic embodiment of fear.

That volume and volume 5 were later used as the plotline for the latest Green Lantern movie, starring Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan. In this movie, Hal, who is the symbol of will, is summoned as the next Green Lantern and must fight fear itself to save Earth from destruction. In the end, a battle between will and fear will prove that fear is not the stronger motivators of the two.

As I've pondered lately at my life's choices - my actions, my decisions, my failures - I've come to the conclusion that there are either two forces in the world that help us make them.

One comes out of fear. A fear of failure, a fear of rejection, a fear of love lost, a fear of discipline when I need it, a fear of hatred and ill-words towards me. Fear is a very strong motivator. The problem with fear is that in entraps you in a web of lies, keeping you from moving forward.

Another comes out of love. A realization that my failures don't predict the amount of love I lose. A realization that my accomplishments don't predict the amount of love I gain. A realization that God loves me. Period. Nothing I do can change the amount of love he gives me. And there is a great, great freedom that comes from that knowledge an acceptance of that love.

Nearly four years ago, I moved 1500 miles away for an internship. It was during that time I fell in love with the people at Emmaus - a church group of young adults who made it a point to share our brokenness, our mistakes, our failures. We didn't wallow in them. No, instead, we lifted them up to the light and showered each other in love and grace. For the first time, I felt what it meant to let go of the fear of showing my failures drive me and allow the love of Christ to cover me.

Our driving force should never be out of fear - I believe fear is the tool of the Devil to keep us from showing Christ in any way. He wants to keep us from showing our failures. Christ wants us to take them to Him so they may be shown in the glory and reflection of His love, mercy, and grace.

Love wins. Love always wins.

Let that be your driving force.